[SunRescue] Help with Rescue, please

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 08:11:49 CST 2000

Folks-

I'm still wrestling with my IPX, and I could use some help.

I had a small patch-cluster-application disaster a few days ago; I tried to
apply the set of recommended patches for Solaris 7, and the process hung
about halfway through.  After getting out of it, I was left with a
non-bootable machine.

The two main courses I've followed are ...

(1) Boot from CDROM into single-user mode, follow the "How to restore the
root and /usr file systems" instructions from the System Administration
Guide Volume 1.

(2) Boot from CDROM and re-install Solaris 7 from scratch.

I've tried several variations on these themes, and the results have all
been the same: when I try to boot from the hard drive, it says "bootblk:
can't find the boot program."  This is in spite of my running installboot
as part of the restoration process, or letting the Solaris installer do it.

Got any idea on how I can get this thing going again?  I could sure use
'em.

-Shel