[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Jan 6 01:42:01 CST 2000

Well, here's tonight's draft of an outline.  It's got some places that
could get more info, and I haven't finished going through all of
yesterday's mail.  I have the top level outline that BSD Bob sent, but I
want to flesh that out a little bit more before I send anything off.  I
think that Chris has this one layed out well, and I'll finish fleshing
it out tomorrow evening, unless I decide to go to the Linux Group
meeting (not likely).  Well, enough of my yacking, here's the doc that I
put together.

This is going to try to be a nice map of what I think the New Sun
Hardware
Reference Guide should look like. I'm going to try to co-ordinate this
project, along with some help from some chaps over in UK. I don't have
their
names right now, but they'll be in here soon enough. I also plan to use
the
Sun Rescue Society's mailing list for most of my communications, unless
the
working group becomes too large, in which case I'll need to see about a
separate list.

Note on breakdown of interface boards: Boards will be broken down by
host
bus architecture, so that a VME -> MultiBus bridge will be in the VME
section, and not the MultiBus section. Thanks to Martin Frost
<martin at dsres.com>

Outline proposed by Chris Peterson <havok at apk.net>

  I. Introduction. Rough history of Sun, purpose of FAQ, author
information,
     official home of this document.

 II. Sun Hardware Specifications. Basics, Bus, Speed, Memory Type

       1. Sun1

       2. Sun2

       3. Sun3/Sun3x

       4. Sun4. Not sure how to do this section, I need advice. I could
          break this down into all of the Sun4? sections, or I could do
          something else. Breaking it down into the Sun4? sections makes
the
          most sense with the above list, but it might make things
harder to
          find. Although if we provide a good index, this shouldn't be a
          problem.

III. Architecture and Hardware Specifics

       A. Sun1 Architecture Notes

            i. Sun 1 Hardware Notes/Errata

           ii. Other machines here

       B. Other Sun Architecture Notes

       C. Sun4m Architecture Notes (perhaps a list of modules, etc)

            i. SPARCStation 4 Hardware Notes/Errata

           ii. SPARCStation 5 Hardware Notes/Errata

          iii. SPARCStation 10 Hardware Notes/Errata

           iv. SPARCStation 20 Hardware Notes/Errata

            v. Other machines here

       D. More Architectures here

 IV. System Options, Processors, etc by Bus (or in the case of non-bus
     specific, by function)

       A. MultiBUS

       B. VME

       C. SBus

       D. More busses

       E. Keyboards and Mice

       F. Monitors

  V. Part Number Reference List (cross-linked back to component details)

 VI. Indices

       A. Alphabetical by machine type (what does machine type mean?)

       B. By Bus?

       C. By Date

Just to let you know, I wrote this in DocBook SGML, just to start
getting aquainted with it.  It's pretty darn easy to write, and output
to HTML is really easy.  Not sure how to do anything else yet, so I just
used netscape to save this as text.  If people could fill in with
answers to the specific questions I asked, that'd be great.
	Greg