[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Jan 5 12:50:38 CST 2000

I've been taking a look at, and reading the sun hardware ref through
again, so that I have a good feel for what's in it.  I don't want to
offend anybody, because this is a really great document, but I'm trying
to decide if it would be easier to use if it was restructured.  I
haven't
decided if this is a good idea or not, but I'm looking for comments.  If
you're not familiar with it, here's what I see as the sections right
now.
Section 1:  Overview, CPU/CHASSIS
Section 2:  FAQ w/answers
Section 3:  Boards
Section 4:  Boards (cont'd)
Section 5:  Disks, Keyboards, Mice, Monitors, Floppy Drives, Tape Drives
Section 6:  Appendices
Section 7:  Appendices (cont'd)

I think that a different section layout might make things easier to find
for people new to the document (although veterans may remember something
being somewhere that it's not).
Here's idea number 1, please tell me why I shouldn't do it this way (or
should).  Break it down into a section on the different archs.  So, 1
section for Sun2, one for Sun3, one for Sun4, one for Sun4m, one for
Sun4c, one for Sun4u (Are there more that I've forgotten?).  I see some
problems with this layout, but it is an option.
Idea number 2 would be to break the machines and board down into
different interfaces.  There could be an SBUS section, a VME section,
and a PCI section.  This idea sounds a lot more limiting at the top, but
under each of those sections, I could have a sub-section for each arch.
The third idea would be to modify the existing layout to allow for
easier management.  I'd want to combine/re-break out sections 3 and 4,
perhaps into one section for each interface, more or less.

Please give me some feedback, I need all the help I can get.  Like I
said before, I need to read over this again, and get a better feel for
how it's laid out.  After my brief looks tonight, it looks better
planned than it did when I was looking at it for content, but that could
just be fatigue.  Thanks for your help,
	Greg