[SunRescue] (no subject)

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Jan 30 14:49:25 CST 2000

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> I do not know the other company. Be sure that when you buy RAM for the beast
> is it true parity (very important)(avoid the 3 chip kind) and 80 ns or

This is a popular misconception (the 9 chip requirement).  Some 3 chip
SIMMs have marginal DRAM refresh timing and will have problems.  Most
"quality" 3 chip RAM (Samsung/Hitachi/NEC/etc) works fine.

Sun themselves shipped 3 chip 4MB SIMMs for the Sparc 2 and 4/600.  I'd
take a barcoded 3 chip SIMM over a generic 9 chip any day.

-James