[SunRescue] (no subject)

xsintrk xsintrk at xsintrk.net
Sun Jan 30 02:36:08 CST 2000

Hello all,
    I would like to introduce myself to the list. I am a 24 yr old
network engineer living in St Louis. I have recently (last year)
become interested in older Sun equipment. My roommate and I currently
own several SparcClassics, a Sparc1 or two, and the sparc laser
printer, and some other misc as of yet unidentified parts.
We run OpenBSD on most of these boxes, and I must say they have taught
me new levels patience when waiting on programs to load.  Suddenly,
that PentiumPro 200 doesn't seem so slow :)

   I recently 'won' a 670MP on e-bay sans memory for 76$ (yeah,
someone is probably laughing right now). I have priced the memory at
around 130 for 64mb at memoryx.com, and i've seen 4mb parity simms for
4.99 each at acesales.com. Has anyone delt with either of these
companies, or have ideas for other parts resources?

   Currently, I am reading through this lists archives, and learning
alot, and I am impressed by the effort to keep these machines running
and viable platforms.

*butt-kissing and intro mode off

   I should receive this machine within the next week or so (how much
does this thing weigh anyways?) and hope to begin the identification
and rebuild/refurb proccess immediately thereafter. My end goal is to
run this box as a diskless workstation server/cluster controller along
side my SparcClassics.  Any and all information about this platform,
including parts and supplies resources, is more than welcome, either
on list or off. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here in the near
future, and then to become an active participant.

Thanks for reading, and thank you for this list. :)

-Martin Wedel
 webmaster, XsinTRK.net