[SunRescue] Broken 3/60 board

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Jan 27 04:38:32 CST 2000

Hi!

>>I also noticed that the board was running quite hot.
>>The fan is rather clogged...

So clean the air inlet!

>This is pretty normal...

Oh no! This is the sure way to kill the 3/60 sooner or later.
If i get my hands on Sun3, i immediate clean all fans and
air inlets. This reduces the temperature in the case considerably!

All my 3/60 (and 3/50 and the 3/75) are standing on little wooden
blocks (you can see that on the pictures of my Zoo).
This reduces the temperature even more.

>I've burned myself on (of all things) the 68881 after 24+hours
>of operation of my 3/60.....

Most of the 3/60 i own operated continuously over years.
The 68881 should never run so hot you cannot touch it!
Do you have overclocked your 3/60?
Anyway: Put heatsinks on CPU and FPU!

Tschuess

Peter