[SunRescue] NeXT speeds vs Sun (was: workstations list)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 26 17:03:18 CST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, ward at zilla.nu wrote:
>I would disagree with the speed comparison..  We had '030 cubes up through the
>TurboColor stations, and they were all quite zippy, even compared to the SPARCs
>of the time.  Remember, the NeXTCube shipped in 1988, and had an i860 based 32
>bit framebuffer available, complete with svhs in/out.  I checked the Sun HW FAQ
>on Sunhelp, but I don't see years of introduction.  What was Sun shipping in
>1988?  I'll have to check on the intro dates of the other models, but I do
>recall our TurboColor smoking an early SS10 (single proc, forget clock speed).

  Hmm...Well, I'm not going to argue with you, but I'll just say that I've got
both running here in front of me...an SS10/40 and a NeXT turbo color...and the
'10 runs rings around it.  CAVEAT: I'm running close-to-current software on the
NeXT...OpenSTEP has gotten much more bloated, and much, much slower over the
years.  That probably explains the difference in our experiences.

              -Dave McGuire