[SunRescue] Re: workstations list (was: Proposition about this list

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 26 16:30:46 CST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, David Cantrell (at home) wrote:
>> > Does a NeXT slab count as a workstation?
>>
>> Of course.  Why wouldn't it?
>
>They're designed to be pretty and easy to use :-)
>
>And even back when they were made they weren't that powerful.

  This is probably going to sound like flame bait, but it isn't.  Honest!

  While the NeXT machines did lag a bit behind in raw CPU performance (if I
recall correctly, they were contemporary with the early SPARCs which ran rings
around them), I've seen some really neat stuff done with that Motorola DSP56001
chip that's inside those little buggers.  Between that and their really
impressive (for the period) graphics capabilities, I'd say they were designed
to be a "workstation for the masses".  Just my opinion.

             -Dave McGuire