[SunRescue] RE: Suns going to the junkyard

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Jan 25 21:38:47 CST 2000

Yeah, being on the "tossing" crew works out pretty well.  I
had a roommate in college who, with a friend, worked at an
IBM PC repair depot (in the early '80's).  They had rules for
repairing machines, which included "maximum" time limits for
trying to resolve various problems.  If you got to the time,
you were to pull any of the boards in question, and put them into
a "bin" and replace with new boards, until the machine got working.
When the bin was full, they were to put the boards into a burlap
bag, take it out the back door of the building, and pound on
the bag with a sledge hammer.  A lot of "working" but misconfigured
boards met their demise this way.  But, some boards managed to
escape, and hide in my friends cars which, for some strange
reason, they had decided to park behind the building....8-)
(Monitors also were subject to similar treatment...)

Helped build quite a few PC's from these escaped parts....

Earl