[SunRescue] Suns going to the junkyard

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Tue Jan 25 09:29:27 CST 2000

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> >Right now I'm waiting for a call to confirm that we have "green light"
> >to go get whatever stuff available.
> >I'll tell more about this later, when it's arriving.
>
> I don't suppose you could give us details about how you contacted your guy
> at Sun?  I'm interested in setting up some sort of reclamation service for
> my area for old Sun equipment.  I'm assuming that *any* Sun customer is a
> likely candidate for this type of "assisted recycling".

Actually, this WAS the details.
This is Sun in Stockholm, Sweden. I have no idea wherever you are
located.
Going for this internationally takes this to a completely new level.

First off:
It helps alot if you're a non-profit organization, like our computer
society, that takes no financial advantage of the equipment involved. (I
don't believe anything else either)

Second:
Call up Sun Microsystems in your area. If there's no office nearby, try
the HQ in your state (if US) or in your country. Present yourself, who
you are, what your purposes are and so on.
They hardly turn your back on you if you speak nicely. :-)
If there's a phone-operator, ask her to connect you to one of the
salesmen, they can easily guide you through to the right guy. Perhaps if
you're unlucky, you end up talking to a boss, and that's not always what
you want to do.
(They often don't know what they're talking about, no offense)

Third:
When you've found that nice person at Sun to talk to, tell him what your
intesions are. Make sure you're talking to someone who actually know how
much equipment they have in stock. They often do enormous trade-ins, and
all that equipment MUST go somewhere.
Don't be afraid of asking "too much", but don't expect to get any Ultras
in the near future. :-)

I see alot of trade-ins going and it's "all-Ultra" now. Everyones
switching. (cause it's cheap)
You can see alot of SS4/5, SS10 and SS20's coming in daily, even Ultra
1.
SS1000(E) often stays a bit longer out in production, since they're
quite expandable. (2Gigs of RAM, 8 CPUs)
(although Sun's stopping the "SS1000 trade-in promotion", atleast here
in Sweden, from 1st January 2000)
SC2000(E) is rare piece of equipment. If you stumble over one, don't
expect it to be loaded. If it's maxed out, live life and be happy. :-)

That's about it. The rest is up to you. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn