[SunRescue] Really Big Hardware That Makes Noise And Takes Up Space

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Jan 23 20:08:26 CST 2000

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Wow, yes.  Eagles are wonderful drives.  Very reliable, and very fast (though
> not so fast on an xy451...for much better results, use a xy7053 or xy753!)
>
>   I've used probably a hundred of those drives in my day...and have *never*
> seen one fail!

I had a bank on my old VAX 11/750.  It was running in a dusty garage with
no temperature or humidity control with lousy power and never skipped a
beat.  Absolutely rock solid, and the drive motors could probably have
cranked my V8 Dodge.

Also had a Fujitsu 2372K, sort of the next-gen HSMD Eagle.  827MB I
believe, 8" platters and a work of art.  Another rock solid drive.  Last I
checked it was running on an Apple IIgs over a SCSI/SMD bridge.  :)

-James