[SunRescue] Really Big Hardware That Makes Noise And Takes Up Space

Dan Jameyson jameyson at iwosys.net
Sun Jan 23 06:40:41 CST 2000

I have about 4'x6' in my home office that I'd like to fill with the
largest, most physically impressive, old (or just plain cheap) and
neatest Sun hardware... something that screams "Look at me, I'm *NOT*
PnP and you can't buy me at CompUSA!" However, it still must be
functional as a unix (ie, actually serve some sort of purpose and
fulfill some sort of use) system. I don't know much about older sun
hardware, except for some of the resources I've seen on the sunhelp.org
page... so could someone out there give me some pointers on what "Big
Stuff" is out there? I also saw one of those "big" reel tape drives at
Weirdstuff a year or so ago; all I remember is that it said Sun on it -
what the heck are those... I want one and I want to use it --- it's just
so 20th century!

Also, the American Institute of Science and Technology (A California
Public Benefit Corporation that I founded) should have a federal
determination letter in about 6 months... so if anyone wants to send
over computer equipment later, it will be tax-deductible and the
equipment would have a safe and honorable home assisting our nonprofit
goals.

Dan

Hey, wow, look, it's 4:40 am...