[SunRescue] SS4 video ??

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jan 21 11:25:32 CST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 Ed.Mitchell at centigram.com wrote:

> Bear with me...though I saw this in no FAQ anywhere...
>
> Just picked up an SS4 the other day.  Took it home, plugged in an older 16"
> Sun monitor(color, forget P/N offhand).  The top 1/8-2/3 of the screen gets
> horitzontal lines across it(they seem to vary with keyboard input, drive
> activity, etc) if the monitor is plugged into the onboard SS4 video.  I

The onboard TCX framebuffer will output 1152x900 @ 76Hz by default.  If
your monitor is an older one (such as a GDM-1602 or 1604) then it will not
sync up and you will get the symptoms you have described.  Try booting up
with the GX card and typing:

setenv output-device? screen:r1152x900x66

at the "ok" prompt.  I think that the TCX can recognize this.  Check the
Framebuffer FAQ for details, it's been a long time.

Are you getting a picture overlaid with these lines or just the lines?  If
it's a picture then you are getting the right scan rate but with
interference.

-James