[SunRescue] Questions . . .

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jan 20 17:08:57 CST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> It's a SuperSPARC with 1 MB of cache, but that's all I can tell you from
> that information.  If you're looking at the module (like physically
> looking at it), I can send you a small guide on which other numbers are
> relavent (conviently borrowed from my Free FEH).

Technically a 390Z55 isn't a processor, it's a cache controller.  The part
number for all SuperSparcs is 390Z50.  The reason they sometimes get
confused is that the cache controller is "identified" as being the CPU
during startup, as it is what interfaces to the (systemwide) mbus.  The
390Z55 can almost be thought of as an mbus/mbus bridge with cache in the
middle since the 390Z50 speaks mbus.

When most people say 390Z55 they mean SuperSparc with e-cache.  Can be
either 1MB or 2MB but the second MB will only be useable in a SC2000.
Speeds range from 50MHz to 85MHz.

-James