[SunRescue] netbooting 4/20

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue Jan 18 11:50:44 CST 2000

Anyone have any idea of any special caveats for netbooting 4/20s
from OSs other than Solaris?

I've been trying to netboot it from a PC [0] running Linux [1],
but it fails to tftp the second-stage bootloader.

I've even resorted to strace on tftpd, and I see it recvfrom()
the tftp request, send the first packet, and then wait forever
in recv() for the ack. Every five seconds it times out and
retransmits, and finally gives up.

Everything works fine booting from my laptop (Solaris 2.5.1),
and I can also boot 3/50s and 3/60s fine.

I wondered if it could be UDP checksums causing the problems,
but I can't see how the original request would get through if
that was the case.

Is there some special Sun thing of which I should be aware,
or do I just have to sit there with tcpdump and RFCs? ;)

--m

0/ Yes, yes.
1/ Yes, I know. Upgrade to BSD planned RSN.