[SunRescue] Sparc 10 boards...

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Mon Jan 17 20:16:16 CST 2000

Howdy,

I'd like to put together another SS10 and retire my Sparc Classic (and
the IPX-in-a-IPC-case) as I find I have more fun tinkering with my SS10
than it is with the others, esp playing with multi-processor things...However,
since it also is my primary server on the network, it's a little too
"important" to the home network to be able to do ALL the tinkering on it
I'd like to.

Anyway, I've spent the last couple of months watching on the auction sites
looking for a base + motherboard (I've got some memory and a drive already)
to get started.  I missed a couple on E-Bay that were ~$100 (with shipping),
and haven't seen anything even close to that since (last night two went for
over 100..one for 140 not including shipping)  Yahoo and Amazon auction sites
are basically a bust.  I spent some time looking around today (went thru most
of the sunhelp site vendors...) and the prices I saw were even worse.  Probably
my best option is to call Fred Dikeman (who is right up the street), and
just break down and spending ~$160 for one from him.  But I'm wondering
if anybody know of some place that can hit the sub-100 mark.  I've not seen
any SS10's found and rescued....(have folks actually seen them hit the dumpster?)

Secondly, it was mentioned on this list recently (and someone followed
it up asking where these magic vendors are) that we should be able to find
SM-51 modules in the $50-$100 range.  Well, I've never found any in that range.
On EBay they range from $150-160 recently, though I got one for $115 with
shipping, and I saw another that went for around $105 with shipping.
MemoryX has SM50's for close to this range, but who wants a 0 cache processor?
Anybody got pointers??

Earl