[SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Tue Jan 11 13:46:03 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> Unless you need more than 512MB RAM (or 128MB using 4MB SIMMs) then you
> only need the CPU board.  It takes two VME slots, but has 4 sbus slots
> onboard for expansion.  For the most part, additional VME cards are only
> needed if you must support legacy hardware.  Sbus is much faster and the
> cards are plentiful.

Has anyone ever tried just the CPU in a 3/60 case? Leaving the VME bus
floating could cause problems, and the power supply probably wouldn't
be up to the job, but it would be nice if it worked... ;)

Are 600-series memory boards 64 SIMM sockets then? The FAQ just mentions
that they were available stock in 0Mb and 64Mb, but I can't believe that
there would be less memory on the expansion boards than the CPU, and
that would give 640Mb with two expansion boards and 4Mb SIMMs.

Pity they're only parity, so none of the 3/2xx flashing ECC lights. ;)

--m