[SunRescue] 4/6xx capabilities?

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:08:43 CST 2000

> > What are the relative capabilities of the different 600-series
> > machines (630MP, 670MP, 690MP, others?)? Are they just the same
> > motherboard with different configurations of memory/peripheral
> > boards? Do the chassis differ?
>
> The only difference is that chassis.  The x30 systems are a quasi-5 slot
> deskside case, the x70 are a 12 slot deskside and the x90 are 16 slot
> rackmount.
>
> Although Sun never shipped them as complete systems, many people have
> assembled 610MP's (3 slot narrow tower/desktop), 650MP's (6 slot
> deskside), 660MP's (old 12 slot deskside) and 680MP's (12 slot rackmount).
> The 610MP is the most compact and quiet, but has no provision for internal
> disks.

OK, for the sake of discussion....  If I want to try to put together
a reasonable board set for a 600 class machine, what boards would I
need to look out for?  I have a couple of 12 slot cases that could
use an update from a 3/160 class machine.

Any suggestions to make a cadillac style machine out of a sow's ear?

Assume I want to run them headless as a small web server/ftp archive
sort of thingie.

Thanks

Bob