[SunRescue] Any hope for SS1+? (Cache)

Dan Macpherson dan at ecks.org
Sat Jan 8 11:41:18 CST 2000

I received a stripped SS1+ a while ago and I finally had time
to test it..

I've put in 4x4mx9 simms and hooked it up to a serial console.
The timekeeper was dead, so I hacked in the ethernet address and hostid.

During the Cache Data Memory Test it told me:
8084 bad 8084 bad 8084 bad

Trying to boot linux/solaris/netbsd/openbsd have all failed.
The last kernel I tried to boot was openbsd2.6:
It dies when the kernel does a software cache flush.
Obviously some of the cache is not working properly.

So, my question is:
Is this SparcStation1+ destined for the trash heap?
Is there any way to fix this so that an OS will boot?
(I would like to do a little more than
hacking forth code at a serial console :)