[SunRescue] Hardware reference re-structuring ideas.

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Jan 6 11:30:01 CST 2000

> Chris Petersen wrote:
>
> > > III. Architecture and Hardware Specifics
> > >
> > >        A. Sun1 Architecture Notes
> > >
> > >             i. Sun 1 Hardware Notes/Errata
> > >
> > >            ii. Other machines here
> > >
> > >        B. Other Sun Architecture Notes
> >
> > I think you got my idea, but in case you did'nt, between Sun1 and Sun4m
> > sections there would be a section for each of the architectures...
>
> Yeah, section B. is intended as a placeholder, not a an actual section.
> I guess I didn't make that clear, but I was going to finish filling out
> those sections as soon as I get done with some work that I get paid
> for.  I used the same placeholder type concept throughout the outline.

Work you get paid for?  What a concept :)
Me, I'm in between tasks at the moment and it's been a quiet week so far.
Lot's of time to sit back and catch up...

> > As in my earlier post, I would also add a Motherboard or CPU section here to
> > cover the non-VME or MultiBUS CPU boards, such as the motherboard out of any
> > of the pizza box Suns.  Not sure how to entitle it, so that people don't get
> > confused with the Mbus and VME sections, but I would add it before
> > Keyboards & Mice and right after the busses.  Maybe entitle it "Non-bus
> > based Mainboards" or something like that.  I'm sure somebody on the list can
> > suggest a snappier heading.
>
> This sounds reasonable to me.
>
> > > Just to let you know, I wrote this in DocBook SGML, just to start
> > > getting aquainted with it.  It's pretty darn easy to write, and output
> > > to HTML is really easy.  Not sure how to do anything else yet, so I just
> > > used netscape to save this as text.  If people could fill in with
> > > answers to the specific questions I asked, that'd be great.
> > >       Greg
> > >

> > You've mentioned DocBook SGML a couple of times...Is this a commercial
> > product, or something opensource?  Where can I find some more info?  I have
> > a feeling I might be contributing quite a bit to your project, if you're of
> > need for the help, and so I figure I should look into this package...I've
> > done some SGML awhile back, but it's been awhile...
>
> DocBook is just a Document Type Definition for SGML.  Basically it's a
> set of rules for using markup, somewhat like HTML.  HTML can be written
> as a DTD for SGML, so HTML is simply a subset of SGML.  DocBook is
> probably the 800 pound gorilla of DTDs for technical writing.  A variant
> of DocBook is used by GNOME and KDE for their documentation projects.
> Sun has also started shipping their man pages in SGML source, I think
> using DocBook or their own variant, although I haven't checked.  SGML
> isn't really any good on it's own, since nobody wants to read markup,
> they want to read something rendered.  The SGMLTools package does this,
> and it actually works on linux (nobody I know has been able to get it to
> compile on Solaris, yet).  For information on DocBook, you can look at
> http://www.docbook.org/.  There are links here to an online version of a
> book on DocBook, which is pretty good to get you started.  The SGMLtools
> package lives at http://www.sgmltools.org/, although the author of those
> programs isn't maintaining them anymore.
> 	Greg

Found the sites already.  Misunderstood that DocBook was merely a DTD.  Now
that I know that, I can fire up the old SGML processor and start working if
need be.  In fact, after reviewing the DocBook stuff, I'm thinking I'll move
to writing my site documentation for my customers using it.  Anybody know of
a good OpenSource SGML tool that'll work on Solaris and HP-UX?  If not, I'll
fall back to FrameMaker+SGML for my PeeCee...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer