[SunRescue] My 330 bit the dust

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jan 5 17:41:41 CST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> My 4/330 has finally crapped out.  Powering on in diag mode yields the
> following:
>
> EEPROM Write-Write-Read-Read Test.
>  error:
> PA=0xf2000000,VA=0x027f8000,Exp=0x0000005a,Obs=0x00000000.(looping)
>
> So, I guess I need a new EEPROM...  Is such a creature available (who has
> one), can it
> be replaced sans soldering, and, if so, where on the mainboard is it
> located?  Is there a workaround, or am I in the market for a new 330
> mainboard?

What the 4/300 calls the EEPROM is actually an NVRAM chip, the same style
used in the sun4c systems (Mostek 48T02).  Try to find one from someone
or you can buy them for about $22 from Mouser or Digi-Key.

It's the large raised DIP chip near the boot EPROMs, I think.  It's
socketed.

Note that you'll need to program the new one, see the nvram/hostid FAQ.

-James