[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 29 11:16:41 CST 2000

Dave McGuire:
> On February 29, Paul Khoury wrote:
> > And the 3/60 was like 4 or 5 MIPS, right?
> >
> > Amazing to think that even a POS Cyrix is faster... *blah*
>
>   Not necessarily.  Comparing MIPS is almost as useless as comparing
> MHz.  My recollection of those days is somewhat faded, but back in
> 1991 or so I had a 3/60 and an i386 of some sort (DX25, maybe?) on
> my desk...the '386 box ran 386BSD 0.1 (remember that?) and later
> Linux.  The 3/60 (running SunOS 3.5) was consistenly faster for my
> applications, which were software development in C and running SPICE

At school we had a small network of one 3/160 (basic setup: 4Meg RAM,
SMD disks) and 4 3/50's netbooting from it. Dunno which SunOS they ran,
but it still had the old sunwindows or such, which makes me believe it
was not 4.1.1 running on it.
We mostly used it as news gateway and mud server. 4 players and up
was unplayable due to paging. We already had the kernels tuned, but the
RAM really wasn't sufficient.

To stop ranting, some time after that I had an encounter with a sun386i,
which in my eyes was s..l..o..w.. compared to those 3/50's.
When I got a 3/50 myself even later, I was surprised by it's speed.

Maarten