[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 29 10:36:31 CST 2000

On February 29, Paul Khoury wrote:
> And the 3/60 was like 4 or 5 MIPS, right?
>
> Amazing to think that even a POS Cyrix is faster... *blah*

  Not necessarily.  Comparing MIPS is almost as useless as comparing
MHz.  My recollection of those days is somewhat faded, but back in
1991 or so I had a 3/60 and an i386 of some sort (DX25, maybe?) on
my desk...the '386 box ran 386BSD 0.1 (remember that?) and later
Linux.  The 3/60 (running SunOS 3.5) was consistenly faster for my
applications, which were software development in C and running SPICE
to simulate analog circuitry.  I wound up using it almost all the time
because of the speed and video quality.

               -Dave McGuire