[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 29 05:51:48 CST 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:12:57 +0100, Peter Koch wrote:

>Hi!
>
>>what is a 3/60?
>
>1988, 1989, high end Sun workstation.

Wow, it really was high end then?
I really like mine - best m68k machine I've ever owned hands down.

Then again, I also like my Mac Quadra 610 (hope to get Mac OS 7.6 and
Linux side-by-side on it someday).  But the Sun is still better.

>68020 at 20 MHz, 68881, up to 24!!! MB, SCSI, Ethernet (AUI+BNC),
>2 x serial, keyboard+mouse, onboard black&white graphics
>1152x900 at 66 or P4-bus color graphics card 1152x900 at 66, 256 colors.
>Runs SunOS 4.1.1 or NetBSD 1.4.

And NetBSD runs real sweet on it - I think current uptime is like 10 days on it
(which is nothing, compared to the other 6 UNIX boxes).

>>is it worth me sneaking it in the back door while the girlfriend
>>is out?
>
>Depends... I'd certainly do! But i'm collecting Sun3's, so my
>opinion doesn't really count ;-)

Ditto here - I have my 3/75 and my 3/60, and am gonna give an extra
3/75 to a friend...

>One thing: From all Sun3's the 3/60 is IMHO the most versatile
>machine. It is not too big but does a decent job as X-Terminal.
>24 MB is really a lot memory for such a slow machine. The
>3/60 can be overclocked substanitally (20-25% are reasonable)
>and has a nice place for a small 3.5" harddisk, if you're
>willing to heat up your solder iron. I've done so and it works
>fine.

Where's that?
Hmmm...

Does anyone know of a readily available source of 2.5" IDE => SCSI converters?
I have a hoard of 2.5" IBM IDE drives I could put to use.
At least I used to - all my PCs, including desktops have ONLY IBM 2.5" drives... =)