[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Mon Feb 28 21:54:31 CST 2000

[ On Monday, February 28, 2000 at 15:10:30 (-0800), James Lockwood wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] 3/60 crate
>
> The rackmount 1400VA unit for $365 looks awfully tempting.

Mmmm....  rackmount....  mmmmm!  :-)

Let's see though, that's about $700[cdn] plus shipping and brokerage.  I
can pick up the same unit at microwarehouse.ca for $1079[cdn] just down
the street.  It is a better deal than the local supplier, but....

Not that I can afford that much extra backup power just now.....

(I am hoping to get a scoop on a used 7kva Matrix though one of these
days and I know it just needs one or two new batteries!  :-)

> > >Power here is currently $0.0746/kWh.  If it were half that I could more
>
> Count your blessings, power here is twice that.  One of the many reasons I
> sold off all my big VME crates.

WOW!  Really?!?!  And with the Canadian dollar factored in?  Thank the
gods for good Canadian thermonuclear plants and lots of hydroelectric
projects!  We still have six operating fossil-fuel plants in Ontario --
about 9,700 MW capacity though.  Ontario Power Generation currently
supplies a peak of ~24,500 MW of electricity but are capable of
generating over 30,000 MW and do deliver well over 126 terawatt/hours
per year! :-) And that's for just about 15 million people or so.  And
now we have legislated avenues for commercial competition in power
generation too so maybe our power will actually get cheaper
(w.r.t. inflation, of course).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>