[SunRescue] FAST Database or search engine?

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Sun Feb 27 19:47:30 CST 2000

> I'm looking for a fast way to search an archive of over 15,000 emails
of
> a email list I'm on.  I tried webglimpse, but doesn't seem to do the
job
> right.  Also need something that works through Apache, but I don't
know SQL,
> so I don't know which other database options there are.

I didn't look around too long, but we use Excite for Web Servers
(downloadable from the excite site, or was). Super easy to configure and
fairly quick on about the same scale of text (25,000 news stories) on a
670/MP running four 40 MHz processors. The searches are indexed, which
may not be what you want, and normally take about 5 or 6 seconds.

If I remember correctly (I haven't had to mess with it much) it was
mostly in perl.

---
David Rouse
Network Manager