[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Linux on SPARC

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:48:41 CST 2000

> The machine is a SS1+, 660MB drive, 32MB of RAM, but that's going
> to 64MB hopefully this weekend.

I wholeheartedly concur with Ido who suggested OpenBSD.  I have run them
all on my machines, and if you want serious unix on a sparc, run OpenBSD,
amongst the freebies, period.

NetBSD is good, but not quite where OpenBSD is in ease of install and
general functionality..... I say that and I am a NetBSD VAX freak!
On my sparcs I run OpenBSD and be happy.  I do that for a reason.
It works.  Use the 2.6 release or the 2.6+ current snapshot.
Linux is so-so.  It crashes too often for me to be comfy with it.
I have to depend upon my sparcs (sun4 and sun4c) to be up when I may
have monkeywrenches going sideways through everything else.  OpenBSD
just plain works, on sparcs.  I like that comfy feeling.

Them be my thoughts and experiences....

That dern' suthern mint julep' a'sippin' Bob
as opposed ta dat danged Yankee feller bob.....(:+}}...