[SunRescue] Real ISP

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Thu Feb 24 16:11:20 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>It is precisely this growth that creates the need for 'dumbed down' ISP
>management methods.  There is a severe shortage of folks having our
>knowledge, but business can't wait for us to reproduce.
>
>Maybe THAT'S the opportunity?

Ah, but find me a bunch of good tech geeks with the patience to say "well
what did the icon you clicked look like?"  From what I have observed among
my tech friends, the patience to teach people the ABCs of an OS that they
have no respect for nor confidence in is pretty rare.  The lack of
challenge and the lack of pay for end user support generally lead to a
bunch of high school and college students doing the support work, and by
the time they have learned enough to be useful they have learned enough to
get a "real" job that actually pays more than $7.50/hr.

Really, how many of you guys would answer phones all day and talk to
people who thought that tall thing with the floppy hole in the front and a
CD drawer was the external modem?  (it took me 20 minutes on the phone to
figure that one out, since the thing with the picture on the front was the
"computer", it wasn't until she mentioned the big wire going from the
external modem to the printer that I finally caught on)

It happens to be part of my job, but if it was all my job I would
definitely go get another one.  And I don't see a huge glut of qualified
techies falling into the market in the near future, so I think this trend
is going to continue.

Tim