[SunRescue] Sun 3/80 woes.....

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 24 10:06:11 CST 2000

After sitting for a couple of years, I resurrected my dusty musty rusty
old 3/80, with the nuked nvram, and dropped in a suplus nvram from a
SparcBook2 that had disk problems.  Anyway, after poking in values into
the nvram sufficient to get it up, I tried to load netbsd and it died
with panics (usual on sun3 netbsd for me).  So, I set about making boot
tapes for sunos-4.1.1 sun3x, but, it was way to late for the olde greybeard
so I turned it off for the night and let it sit.  This morning it came back
up but seems to be missing something.  The fact that it came up, at all
suggests the nvram is still good, but only that something still has a wrong
value somewhere in it.

Anyone got a set of proper nvram values to poke into a Sun 3/80?
Since this machine will never be on anything but the home net, I
don't worry about bogus id or ethernet numbers on it.  The original
values and original nvram chip are long since gone.  So, anyone
got a dump from their 3/80 nvram that I could compare with what
I have in mine?  Is there any way to clear the nvram to zeros so
It could start fresh?  From prom, the only way I can think of is
manually poking 2k worth of zeros in from m a xxxxx, which would
be somewhat of a pain.

I vaguely remember a site somewhere (maybe the sun3arc site?) that
has a script that would generate a new set of nvram values randomly
for you.  Anyone have a pointer to that?

Long ago, I had the real nvram prom book from Sun, but that is also
long gone.  Anyone got one of those to spare?

Thanks

Bob