[SunRescue] Does anyone have any---

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Feb 17 02:23:13 CST 2000

Hi!

I was running a 3/470 (32MB main memory) as web-, mail-, news-
and proxy-server for our company until January 7th. I've
retired the machine then not because it couldn't handle the
load (actually, the machine was pretty idle) but because
i wanted to rescue the machine from an early dead.
There is no visible difference in speed now that a SS5/110
is doing the work. The SS5 has 128MB main memory.

BTW: The machine has about 2GB/month traffic. The outgoing
line is 128kBit/sec.

I think the 3/470 would have been able to cope with a 2MBit
connection before it becomes the bottleneck. The SS5 surely
can handle the full 10MBit/sec. of the ethernet interface.

A SS10/412 with 128MB should do fine. More RAM is always
good though. I'd start with it as is and see where shortages
lurk.

Tschuess

Peter