[SunRescue] ISDN "taking off"...

Ido Dubrawsky ido at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 12 21:29:52 CST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Earl Baugh wrote:

> >> I'd hardly consider onboard ISDN an advantage, but that's just me.  :)
> >
> >In Europe it's very helpful, but never caught on in the US to the same
> >extent.
>
> Well, it may take off in the US in a "round-about" way.  I just got
> DSL service to my house, and given the distance I am from a CO, it's
> only possible for me to get IDSL.  I heard that the "A" stood for Asymetric
> in ADSL and "S" stood for Symetric, but didn't know what the "I" stood
> for til I read thru the book my router came with.  It stands for
> "ISDN".  Yup, DSL over an ISDN circuit.  And a heck of a lot cheaper
> than ISDN...(go figure...)  A 144 symetric connection is better than
> any other options I have...(and not that far from the 192/192 SDSL
> I was hoping for...)
>
> BTW, check out www.dslreports.com for many more options than your phone
> company will tell you about...according to the phone company I don't
> have any DSL options, and won't for probably years....glad I didn't
> listen to them.  I've found at least 3 folks who could get ADSL when
> the local telco said "nope"....got a free lunch from a very happy
> friend because of it...
>

> Earl

Earl,

  What is your IDSL router?  Cisco? Netopia?  I have a Cisco 804 ISDN router
and I can also now get only IDSL at home.  I'm thinking of selling my Cisco
804 ISDN router (as well as my Ascend Pipeline 50) and buying a Cisco 804 IDSL
(which hilariously enough is ~$200 /cheaper/ than the 804 ISDN router!).  Can
you tell me what you're using and how you like it please.
  Also, can others on the list please give me their opinions of IDSL as well.
I don't know when Southwestern Bell is going to get ADSL or SDSL (which I heard
stand for either Symettric DSL or Single-user DSL -- at least that what Bill
Stallings calls it in his Broadband ISDN book) in my area and I'm leaning more
towards getting IDSL at the present time.

Ido

--
Ido Dubrawsky
Sr. UNIX System Administrator                   E-mail: ido at globeset.com
Command and Control Group/Application Services
GlobeSET.com
Austin, TX