[SunRescue] SPARCstation 2

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 19:29:37 CST 2000

At 11:37 AM 2/13/00 +0930, you wrote:
>HI! I purchased a SparcStation 2 for $100.00 and I am intending to load
>RedHat 6.1 for Sparc on it. However, I haven't got root's password or any
>other password for that matter to get to the SUNOS 5.3's command line. Being
>a newbie "son of SUN" is there anyway I can change root's password or access
>the system as the floppy and cdrom don't seem to search at boot-up so I am
>unable to use a system boot disk.

Another think you might want to check is that the cd-rom is set to
SCSI ID 6, which is the standard for SPARCs.  Supposedly you can boot from
another ID, but for simplicity, the boot HD should be ID3, and the cdrom ID6.
And I wouldn't bother booting with a floppy - the cd-rom is usually slow
enough.

Or if you have a Linux desktop, you could boot off the network - I have an
IBM Valuepoint 486 running NetBSD, and use it as a boot server for 2 Sun3's
I have.

Paul