[SunRescue] smX1s

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Feb 11 20:33:24 CST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Chris Drelich wrote:

> I just recieved an ss20.  It has 2 MBus cards in them, but Im not sure what
> they are, could anyone tell me where to look for product numbers and such and
> what the various product numbers mean?

If they have a big heatsink on top that says "SuperSparc-II" then they are
SM71's or SM81's.  These heatsinks have fins, all the rest have metal
pips.  If the fins run lengthwise along the module instead of crosswise
then they are SM81-2's.

If they have a big heatsink on top that says "SuperSparc", then they are
SM51's or SM61's.  If they cover the adjacent sbus slots as well then they
are SM52's (dual SM51's on each card).

If they have one chip on them instead of two (and are labeled
"SuperSparc") then they are SM40's or SM50's (most likely SM50's).
Modules with 2 chips without a huge heatsink are SM41's or early-rev
SM51's.  Some really early rev SM61's looked like this but you'll likely
never see one, they also only supported a 40MHz MBus.

If they have one chip but a huge finned heatsink then they are
HyperSparcs.

If you want to know exactly what they are, the part number is printed on a
small label along with a barcode on the MBus connector.  You'll probably
have to pull the modules to see it.

-James