[SunRescue] Using HP 2247 and HP 2490A drives in Sun3?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 11 12:03:02 CST 2000

On February 11, BSD Bob wrote:
> The HP 2490A seems to be a 5 gig drive?????  (2582C,18H,107S)
> Will something that big work in a sun3 or sun4?  I vaguely recall
> a 2 gig limit somewhere, or is that just per fs?  It will be running
> Sunos 4.1.1U1 (sun3) or Sunos 4.1.3 (sun4).

  Sun4s are sparcs like any other...just no openboot prom.  There's a
4/470 up the road from me with six 23gb drives on it.

  Sun3s are very similar...dunno if there are large-disk boot
restrictions like on smaller VAXstations; I think the largest disk
I've had in a sun3 was 4gb.

  The 2gb thing you remember is a filesystem limit.  You can get
around it either by using Disksuite or by running a modern OS.

           -Dave McGuire