[SunRescue] ISDN "taking off"...

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Thu Feb 10 19:33:10 CST 2000

>> I'd hardly consider onboard ISDN an advantage, but that's just me.  :)
>
>In Europe it's very helpful, but never caught on in the US to the same
>extent.

Well, it may take off in the US in a "round-about" way.  I just got
DSL service to my house, and given the distance I am from a CO, it's
only possible for me to get IDSL.  I heard that the "A" stood for Asymetric
in ADSL and "S" stood for Symetric, but didn't know what the "I" stood
for til I read thru the book my router came with.  It stands for
"ISDN".  Yup, DSL over an ISDN circuit.  And a heck of a lot cheaper
than ISDN...(go figure...)  A 144 symetric connection is better than
any other options I have...(and not that far from the 192/192 SDSL
I was hoping for...)

BTW, check out www.dslreports.com for many more options than your phone
company will tell you about...according to the phone company I don't
have any DSL options, and won't for probably years....glad I didn't
listen to them.  I've found at least 3 folks who could get ADSL when
the local telco said "nope"....got a free lunch from a very happy
friend because of it...

Earl