[SunRescue] The Combo reply.

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Wed Feb 9 22:07:35 CST 2000

A value reply...four replies in on one mail.
(sue me, I'm lazy...8-) )

First, RE: "free schtuff" guy.

Just on a whim, I sent him a mail to see what he wanted
for those boxes.  His reply fast (minutes) and he said
around $10K.  So, it is in line with what folks suggested
they might run.  However, given the reputation I'm hearing
about, I'd be real leary about dealing with a transaction with
the given mucho $$....  I asked if he would consider breaking
one down for parts, and got no reply...

Second:  Gregory & LaserJet's

Be sure to post to packrats on those printers...I know
I'd be interested.

RE: NVRAM

I'll pick up a beer and toast Mike's sugluggestion 8-)
Time vs money, it's not worth $17 to me to do it myself.
So, where do I pick up a programmed one?

Right now I've got $7 invested in the box.  Ebay ranges
are $15-$97 (I kid you not...) so investing a bit more
isn't a complete waste (I'll probably end up giving it
away to a "newbie" Sun guy who recently approached me..)
I need an NVRAM, small SCSI drive, floppy, probably CG3.
Any old kbd's out there for cheap?

RE: SCSI and messed up termination lines.

Well, from personal experience, many moons ago, we
had a 4/110 (we actually got it without the FPU...
talk about major dog....once it got the FPU it
was much, much better....)  We blew out a couple
drives on it (they made crackling noised and then
stopped...) because Sun had some screwy wiring
on the SCSI on that box (believe it was as quoted
termpower to a grounded line...).  I believe we were
able to deal with it on the 3rd drive...we had
spoken to the vendor...don't recall if we cut lines,
or flipped a jumper on the drive, or board...in any
case, I learned to be careful with them after that.

RE: SS5 vs SS10

I've got two SS10's here...got the second one in the last
month or so.  I went with another 10 vs a 5 or even cheaper 4,
because of the modules, and the expandability.  A 20 was about
double the price though, still pretty cheap given a base for
around $225...  However, but you can get 10 with CG6, SM41 and
base for the same amount...

	Earl the Squirrel
	Internet : home - earl at baugh.org
		   work - baugh at revenuetech.com
	Thank you for playing stump the clown. 0-