[SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Wed Feb 9 12:57:52 CST 2000

[ On Wednesday, February 9, 2000 at 12:24:51 (-0500), BSD Bob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?
>
> Ahh, no.... I have some notes gathered from here and there.  I was
> under the impression slots 1-6 were commonly jumpered for the cpu and
> ram.  7 was dedicated internal passthrough scsi.  8 was dedicated open
> or color framebuffer.  9-12 were tied together on some lines.

More or less right as far as it goes....   :-)

Can you look for the part number of the actual backplane itself and post
it?  Perhaps someone with a copy of the FEH (mine's in a box in the
garage -- I still only have shelf space for my actual books, not
binders) can transcribe the relevant slot assignment table and whatnot
for you.

My guess is you'll have to put the second controller in one of slots
2-6 but I can't remember for sure.  Slot 8 may work, or it may not.

> Does the generic kernel on 4.1.1U1 or 4.1.3 have built-in dual
> scsi controller capability, or do I need to recompile the kernel?

No, I don't think it does.  However it seems from other hints posted
that it can be added fairly easily.  This is the part I stumbled on and
gave up on, but then I was trying the strange "sc" beast I have and I
didn't spend very much time on it.

> Where does one find those little critters?  Are they DB50 terminators?

I've seen them as DD-50 (three-row D-shell 50-pin old-style) but most
commonly they're either telco-style 50-pin (edge-like connector down the
centre with pads on each side) or HD-50 (high-density SCSI-2).  I've
seen all kinds on eBay and in lots of junk shops these days too.  I
think Kenneth Olsen at www.memoryx.com has some too.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>