[SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Wed Feb 9 12:33:32 CST 2000

Hi!

>Use active termination, high-quality cables and connectors, and
>terminator power supplied from the ends of the bus.

Active termination??? On a SCSI-I bus? What a waste!
High quality cables and connectors? Flat ribbon cables
with pressed connectors work fine. Sun used them for
the internal cabling of the 3/xxx chassis, so it must
be ok!
Termination power? Sun applied GND to pin 26...

After all it seems like pure luck, that my machines
work at all!

BTW: 5 MB/sec async are a joke! I never got more than
1.5 MB/sec from a Sun3-SCSI (si) controller and no more
than 1 MB/sec from the Sun2-SCSI (sc) controller.
If you plug the "sc" into a 3/160 and attach a MFM
harddisk with an ACB-4000 (this was sold by Sun!!!)
you get no more than 400 kB/sec!!!!

Tschuess

Peter