[SunRescue] RE: [Sunhelp] Which SPARCstation is better?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Feb 9 12:14:33 CST 2000

Uhm, what?  Just because you can get a 170MHz processor in the SS5 doesn't
mean that it's a faster CPU.  My 40MHz SM41 is quite a bit faster than the
40MHz processor on my friends SS2 (that is a 40MHz in the SS2, right?).  I
was looking at similar machines, and ended up getting myself an SS20.  The
SS10/20 machines are MUCH more scaleable than the SS5, with up to 4
processors, and 512MB of ram.  The SS5 has at most 1 processor, and some
ammount of ram (can't remember).  Processor speeds in the SS20 range from
40MHz up to 150MHz+.  Both machines use the same chassis, so you don't have
any advantages either way there.  I'm pretty sure that a 150MHz HyperSPARC
in an SS20 would beat the 170Mhz TurboSPARC in the SS5, but if not, just get
another 150MHz HyperSPARC and that will certainly be faster.  :)  I'll stop
now, because I have to go lock down my servers as the threat of a
disgrunteled employee strikes again.
	Greg