[SunRescue] A couple of things.....

Hatle, Steven J. shatle at vue.com
Wed Feb 9 07:20:16 CST 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF7300.694C91A0

The NVRAM (as opposed to the EPROM) is different between models. The NVRAM
from a lunchbox is not the same as an NVRAM for an SS10. I learned this the
personal way just the other day. <grin> Good thing I had another machine I
could lift one from.

The lunchbox NVRAMs don't have as many pins.

Programming them isn't hard, per the FAQ.

Steve

Well, it seems to me that there is definately some machine specific
information stored there, since different revisions allow for different
processors to be used in the SS10/20 and a couple of others.  I'd say that
you really need to get the programming that is specific to your particular
machine, but the physical NVRAM chips could be identical (although they
don't have to be).  You might want to read over the NVRAM FAQ (which I
haven't done myself) to see what you can learn.
	Greg

Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF7300.694C91A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: [SunRescue] A couple of things.....</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The NVRAM (as opposed to the EPROM) is different =
between models. The NVRAM from a lunchbox is not the same as an NVRAM =
for an SS10. I learned this the personal way just the other day. =
<grin> Good thing I had another machine I could lift one =
from.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The lunchbox NVRAMs don't have as many pins.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Programming them isn't hard, per the FAQ. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Steve</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>> -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> From: Earl Baugh [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:earl at baugh.org">mailto:earl at baugh.org</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 8:38 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> To: rescue at sunhelp.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> Subject: [SunRescue] A couple of =
things.....</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> So, my second request.  From the earlier =
discussions, it seemed that </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> there were places to pick up un-programmed =
NVRAMs, but I was </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> wondering </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> if someone had one sitting around from an old =
IPC they'd be willing to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> part with...I'm willing to pay a little, but =
this machine isn't work</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> any huge investment....just scrap parts as they =
come up...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> (BTW, is there any difference between the =
NVRAMs between the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> various models...i.e. could I plug a SS10 NVRAM =
into the IPC?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> what would be the implications?? Is there any =
machine specific</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> info in the NVRAM?...I've never done any =
reading to know what</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> all was stored there, aside from what I heard =
about the ethernet </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>> address and machine id being there [is that =
correct?])</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Well, it seems to me that there is definately some =
machine specific</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>information stored there, since different revisions =
allow for different</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>processors to be used in the SS10/20 and a couple of =
others.  I'd say that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>you really need to get the programming that is =
specific to your particular</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>machine, but the physical NVRAM chips could be =
identical (although they</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>don't have to be).  You might want to read over =
the NVRAM FAQ (which I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>haven't done myself) to see what you can =
learn.</FONT>
<BR>        <FONT =
SIZE=3D2>Greg</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Rescue maillist  -  =
Rescue at sunhelp.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.sunhelp.org/mailman/listinfo/rescue" =