[SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?????

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Wed Feb 9 00:07:05 CST 2000

[ On , February 8, 2000 at 23:51:22 (-0000), jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?????
>
> >Ah, but I have a sun2 501-1006 adapter in a Multibus-VME adapter and 9U
> >frame!  Maybe that's why I never got it to work under SunOS-4!  :-)
>
>    That's a new one on me. I've never seen one or seen it listed in a FEH,
> so I assumed it had never been done. This always seems to be a bad
> assumption with Sun stuff. :)

It was likely made up by someone from parts.  The collection of stuff it
came from has quite a legacy....

>    Even under SunOS, they had a regrettable tendency to make the entire
> machine lock up hard. Different controllers, CPUs, chassis, disks...
> nothing seemed to solve the problem. Maybe I just have the worst luck in
> the world, but in my own experience the only si's that I have seen working
> properly are the onboard ones in 3/50's and 3/60's, which are rock solid.

My 3/260, running as my main server doing e-mail, software development,
NFS for my desktops, etc., stayed up for hundreds of days at a time.
The only problems I had were completely un-related to SCSI.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>