[SunRescue] Multia flop?

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Feb 3 03:44:01 CST 2000

Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:

>   My 175MHz 21064 (older,
> >first-generation Alpha processor) box (AS1000) consistently ran rings
> around my
> >233MHz 21066-based Multia.  That's why I got rid of it. :)
>
> Heh heh heh... A flop alpha - Can anyone think of a flop SPARC? (I can't, but
> I've only been into UNIX since my junior year in HS).

Geez. Don't smash that little dwarf even further, until you know why it
was manufactured. :-)

It was supposed to be a small and cheap platform, not a high-performance
workstation, that's a fact. They placed these boxes at many
support-centers, just because they easily used these as "terminals", ie
a low-horsepowered thingie to steer bigger boxes. :-)
I think I have an article at home, describing a "success deal" where
they put a couple of Multias at a support-centre, cause they could run
Digital UNIX and Windows NT, _at_the_same_time_.
(And how on earth they'd do that?)

	/Regards, Bjorn