Re(2): [SunRescue] Stupid NVRAM questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 2 00:15:58 CST 2000

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000, Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:
>Definately - I admit, the quality of my SPARCs is SOOOOOO much better
>than cheap PCs - built to last.  Especially the Sun3's - they're slower
>than pissing Alpha tar, but built tough and last forever (well, almost).
>
>I will say I was surprised when I powered on a 1+ I bought recently, and
>it said clock gained 1592 or something days, yet the NVRAM still worked
>(wow, 5 years!).

  In the PeeCee world, the name of the game is planned obsolescence.  "Get
their money...then get it again next year...and again, and again, and again..."
Microsoft and Intel's marketing creates an artificial "need" for 600+MHz
processors in the minds of the uneducated and inexperienced, when the most
advanced cpu-hungry application most of them run is a screensaver.

  We know better.  That's why most of us spend our time getting WORK done with
our computers...not working on upgrading our computers for the sake of
upgrading them or because someone who wants our money tells us we need it.

                        -Dave McGuire