[SunRescue] BIND for Solaris 2.6

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 27 14:57:43 CST 2000

>To setup a Solaris install server is pretty easy:
>
>1. put CD-ROM containing the media you want to install into the CD-ROM drive
>2. cd <cdrom directory [depends on whether you're running volmgt or not>
>3. cd Solaris_2.7/Tools (assuming Solaris 7, I don't remember if the Tools
>   directory is with a capital T or not, it is...now I remember)
>4. There is a script in there called "setup_install_server", run that script
>   with the name of the directory where you want to have it copy the install
>   Note: you don't have to copy the media to the disk...I find this to provide
>   much faster installs than having it come off the CD-ROM media.
>5. You may have to create a boot server if the install client is located on
>   another subnet.  So long as there is no router between the two devices,
>   then you don't need to do this.  If you have to, then you can use the
>   following command: ./setup_install_server -b /boot/path (simple huh?)
>6. Once that's done, you need to enter the client's ethernet address into
>   /etc/ethers and the IP address in /etc/inet/hosts.  The /etc/ethers entry
>   should be something like:
>
>   AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF	Fully.Qualified.Domain.Name
>
>   for a SPARC, it would probably be something like:
>
>   08:00:20:XX:YY:ZZ    my.system.org

Okay

>   NOTE: the XX:YY:ZZ will be replaced by the last three fields of the machines
>   unique ethernet address (08:00:20 are the Sun specific fields).  Also, it
>   doesn't /HAVE/ to be the FQDN of the machine, that's just my personal
>   preference...it does however have to match the second field of that machine's
>   entry in /etc/inet/hosts.
>
>7. In /etc/inet/hosts, put the machines IP address as well as the machine name
>   in the entry.  For the example above the entry might look like:
>
>   10.16.20.23	my.system.org	my
>
>   or, if you didn't use the FQDN in /etc/ethers:
>
>   10.16.20.23  my	my.system.org <--- this last field is optional

Okay, I tried my /etc/ethers entry both ways, also with /etc/hosts the same way as well.
I don't have enough HD space on the machine to copy the CD-ROM, so it'd have to be
installed just off the cd-rom.

The error I get is:

# ./add_install_client lebanon sun4c
Error: Ethernet number for lebanon not found.
#

and here's /etc/ethers

# cat /etc/ethers
8:0:20:9:4f:ec  lebanon