[SunRescue] RE: Country Kits & IDSL

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Feb 22 21:51:20 CST 2000

RE: Country Kits

I've kept a list of all the folks who expressed interest in the rescue'd type
4 country kits that I'm trying to obtain.  Just an update:  I spoke to the
vendor, and he said that he expects to have some available within a month.
He's going to contact me as soon as they're available, and I'll be in contact
with the individuals who contacted me about them.

RE: IDSL

Ido asked:
> >  What is your IDSL router?  Cisco? Netopia?  I have a Cisco 804 ISDN router
> >and I can also now get only IDSL at home.  I'm thinking of selling my Cisco
> >804 ISDN router (as well as my Ascend Pipeline 50) and buying a Cisco 804
> >IDSL (which hilariously enough is ~$200 /cheaper/ than the 804 ISDN router!)
> >Can you tell me what you're using and how you like it please.

I've got a Flowpoint 144 router.  I'd have rather had a Cisco, but the easiest
thing to do was go with the ISP solution (they recommend these, and from
what I learned, you can normally get I pretty hefty rebate on them thru the
ISP channel....I got mine for around $200 new, which was better than I could
find for a Cisco...)  I had heard that I could use a standard ISDN router
(DSLReports mentions it as well as some books I'd looked at).  Normally I
would have checked out this in more detail, and looked to see what Cisco
solutions I had, but since I had another issue that was more important, namely
keeping my class C address...and finding an ISP who would host it for the
STANDARD IDSL price...[repeat, I'm NOT A BUSINESS.  Network nerd, yes,
BUSINESS No] I decided to just go with whatever hardware solution they
provided.  (btw, most, if not all of the vendors I spoke with [Non Baby-bell]
all wanted to use flowpoints...)

Overall, I like it pretty much, esp since Flowpoint has just released their
"firewall" software (which use to be an additional cost) for free. (it's a
different kernel to load on the box).  Given that it provides NAT (which I
don't use....I have my own class C which I've had for years) and DHCP (which I
have now enabled) services, it seems to be pretty complete.  It also provides
4 10baseT ports, so it's a mini-hub as well.

Management wise,  It's telnet accessible, as well as accessible from the
client software they provide with the router.  I particularly liked the ease
in which I can backup all the configurations with just a couple of mouse
clicks.  While I don't completely understand the flowpoint syntax yet, the
online docs are reasonable, and I've puzzled out most of it.  (Though, I still
like Cisco syntax better)  In terms of performance, I'm actually pretty happy
with it so far.  Some of my traffic is getting back hauled, but that is getting
changed this week (my ISP is installing a local POP here in Atlanta, so I won't
be backhauling thru Chicago after this week...)  According to a couple of
independent web sites which rate speed, I'm running at 100% (at least in the
evenings when I've tested it...I'll debate whether or not I'm hitting the same
during the day...)  Overall, I'm happy I went with it.

Dan wrote:

 >/begin rant
 >
 >Okay, I actually calculated it, and I'm...
 >
 >17022 feet from the CO
 >
 >ADSL works up to 17500, or so "they" claim.
 >
 >"They" told me no.
 >
 >Isn't it retarded that the telco doesn't even want my business?
 >
 >Why... WHY do they lie like that? I bet that, technically, ADSL would
 >"work" beyond that, too... there must be buffers already built into the
 >the ranging scheme... stupid pinko telco.
 >
 >/end rant

>From what the Covad installer told me, there are multiple issues that need to
be addressed for IDSL (at least) to work.   First, there is the distance (I've
got a repeater between me and the CO, even though I'm within what he called
the "spec'ed" distance...for IDSL that is...) Second, there is line quality
(i.e. what kind of switching equipment is between you and the CO).  Third,
there is the equipment at the CO, and lastly there is the "competence" of the
local bell.  While you may be within distance, any of the other things can be
just as big of a show stopper as the distance.   I'm lucky here in the Atlanta
area that they've upgraded 99%+ of the network to digital switching equipment
...it doesn't hurt to be in only a 5 year old neighborhood as well...(fiber
is coming into the neighborhood too..and I'm way out in the suburbs!!) The
Olympics was good for something at least 8-)

Greg wrote:

> >> Okay, I actually calculated it, and I'm...
> >>
> >> 17022 feet from the CO
> >
> >How exactly did you calculate this?  Sounds like a cool trick, since you
> >can't tap into the line (well, not legally).

On DSLReports, they've got direct ties into some vendors CO DB's.  (I asked
Covad how this info got to DSLReports, and they told me that they let them
have access to the info directly...though they wouldn't tell me how...)  So, at
least for Covad (and I believe Rhythm as well) they calculate from the source.

	Earl the Squirrel
	Internet : home - earl at baugh.org
		   work - baugh at revenuetech.com
	Thank you for playing stump the clown. 0-