[SunRescue] BIND for Solaris 2.6

Ido Dubrawsky ido at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 19 21:15:23 CST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Paul Khoury wrote:

> Where can I get a copy of bind for Solaris 2.6?  Also, is there a FAQ
> on setting up another SPARC as an install server so I could put Solaris 7
> on this box?  I got some really nasty SCSI errors when trying to install
> Solaris
> 7, even thought it booted, and got to the copying files part.
>
> Paul

To setup a Solaris install server is pretty easy:

1. put CD-ROM containing the media you want to install into the CD-ROM drive
2. cd <cdrom directory [depends on whether you're running volmgt or not>
3. cd Solaris_2.7/Tools (assuming Solaris 7, I don't remember if the Tools
   directory is with a capital T or not, it is...now I remember)
4. There is a script in there called "setup_install_server", run that script
   with the name of the directory where you want to have it copy the install
   Note: you don't have to copy the media to the disk...I find this to provide
   much faster installs than having it come off the CD-ROM media.
5. You may have to create a boot server if the install client is located on
   another subnet.  So long as there is no router between the two devices,
   then you don't need to do this.  If you have to, then you can use the
   following command: ./setup_install_server -b /boot/path (simple huh?)
6. Once that's done, you need to enter the client's ethernet address into
   /etc/ethers and the IP address in /etc/inet/hosts.  The /etc/ethers entry
   should be something like:

   AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF	Fully.Qualified.Domain.Name

   for a SPARC, it would probably be something like:

   08:00:20:XX:YY:ZZ    my.system.org

   NOTE: the XX:YY:ZZ will be replaced by the last three fields of the machines
   unique ethernet address (08:00:20 are the Sun specific fields).  Also, it
   doesn't /HAVE/ to be the FQDN of the machine, that's just my personal
   preference...it does however have to match the second field of that machine's
   entry in /etc/inet/hosts.

7. In /etc/inet/hosts, put the machines IP address as well as the machine name
   in the entry.  For the example above the entry might look like:

   10.16.20.23	my.system.org	my

   or, if you didn't use the FQDN in /etc/ethers:

   10.16.20.23  my	my.system.org <--- this last field is optional

8. Anyway, now go back to <cdrom_dir>/Solaris_2.7/Tools and run the command:

   ./add_install_client my.system.org <kernel_architecture>

   where kernel_architecture is something like sun4u (for UltraSPARCs) or
   sun4m for (microSPARCS), etc.

   If your client is on a different subnet than the install server, you will
   need to add the install server's name and the path to the location where the
   install media is.  So, for the example above, say you have a boot server
   named boot.system.org and the install server is install.system.org, then,
   on the boot server, you will have to do the following:

   ./add_install_client -s install:/path/to/install/media my <kern_arch>

9. Now go to your client and do a "boot net" to have the system boot of the
   install/boot server and start the install program.

This assumes that you're doing an interactive install and not dealing with a
custom JumpStart script.  If that's the case, then it gets a little bit more
involved, but not by too much...well, ok, it does...JumpStart requires a lot
of work up front, but once you've got it up and going, it really can be nice.
I have to give RedHat kudos for their KickStart system as well...makes a Linux
install as easy as a JumpStart is for SPARCS.

Good Luck,
Ido

P.S. The only reason why I remember this is because I had to do one too many
     times for my company, and now I'm putting together a JumpStart server over
     there.

--
Ido Dubrawsky
Sr. UNIX System Administrator                   E-mail: ido at globeset.com
Command and Control Group/Application Services
GlobeSET.com
Austin, TX