[SunRescue] Server Software.. what system ?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Feb 17 17:06:07 CST 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Mark Davies wrote:

> Thanks for the reply to my earlier Question about Server 7. Now I have
> it, I think I may like to check out what server I should pick up to run
> it from. I know the specs will prob recommend a high end server, but I
> don't mind it running a little slow. Anyone running Solaris Server 7 ?

It all depends on what you want to do with it.  I had it running on a
Sparc 1+ (from 1991) as my DSL gateway/proxy machine for over a year.
Some people who do particularly intensive processing may find even current
machines to be too slow.

The only universal advice I can give you is to not skimp on memory.  Get
at least 64MB if you possibly can, it makes a large difference.

Right now I'd say the best bargains are Sparc 5's at the low end (under
$500) and Ultra 1's in the $500-1200 bracket.  How much do you want to
spend?  A SS5/70 with 64MB RAM and a 1-2GB disk can be put together for
under $250 if you hunt for cheap parts.

If that's still too rich, find an old Classic, LX, Sparc 2 or IPX.
They're all roughly the same speed and for your purposes are pretty
equivalent.  Even a slow Sparc 5 provides a big step up, though.

-James