[SunRescue] SPARCstation 2

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Feb 14 04:14:11 CST 2000

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 09:17:52AM +0100, Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:
> Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> > Is it a Sony drive made for Sun? i.e. is it in a Sun external housing? if
> > not Sun it may not be compatible.
> It sounds awfully alot like the standard Sony CDU-8012 that was shipped
> with an external Sun SCSI-box as "SunCD 2" or something like that. Sun
> used Toshibas as well.

Usually if its a "Sun" CD-ROm drive made by Sony or Toshiba, it will have the
word "SUN" in the ID string somewhere... I know the old CDU-8012s had it.

However, as others have stated, a CD-ROM just needs to be able to do 512-byte
blocks to work.  As for the "cdrom is too fast, use an old one" problem, I
had a SS1 once that wouldnt even boot off one of the "blue" 2x cd-rom drives
commonly found in SS5s and SS20s!  I had to retire it to the parts shelf.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford  | mrbill at mrbill.net | http://www.mrbill.net |