[SunRescue] DSL

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Fri Feb 11 10:36:09 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>There's more to it than distance.  Things like line quality and if there
>is any extra equipment between you and the CO play a role too.  I think it
>was you (or somebody) who said that your modem wouldn't connect over 19k.
>I'd guess if this is the case, you won't get ADSL to work on the same line
>no matter how close you are; that is your Telco might not have lied.  It's
>all new anyway, given time I'm sure everything will get upgraded to the
>point that it will be trivial to get ADSL (that's what I'm hoping for
>anyway).
>
>My $0.02
>
>-Cyrus

Heard an interesting statistic on the radio, somebody doing such studies
said that maybe as many as 15% of the installed DSL connections suffer as
much as a 40% decrease in usable bandwidth due to interference from normal
AM radio stations.  I would think that a signal that susceptible to RF
noise would also cause problems with similar signals in the same
cable/junction box.  I wonder how long DSL will actually be a useful
product.  In my area ISDN isn't available most places, DSL also doesn't
seem to be coming very quickly, I'm just wondering if by the time DSL is
actually available out in the sticks the telcos will actually be pushing
fiber to the home.

Of course, I also can't get cable, let alone a cable modem, so I am stuck
with dial up for now.  however, take a look at http://www.freexdsl.com
they are offering free dsl (with about 5 years of fine print) and claim to
be able to push into areas the local telco is unwilling to.

Tim