[SunRescue] Solaris 7 and SS10

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Feb 10 12:51:03 CST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> OK - probably James L can answer this, but I'll throw it to the group...
> Will an older PROM version on an SS10 prevent booting from a drive that
> was installed on a system with a newer PROM?  I built a new OS for a
> production machine on an SS10 with a 3.2x PROM, plugged it into the SS10

No such thing as a SS10 with a 3.xx PROM.  3.xx is on the UltraSparcs
only.

> with a 2.10 PROM, and I get something like SCSI message missed and corrupt
> disk label.  I haven't put the drive back on the newer SS10, yet, as it's
> in a different city.  Please tell me I didn't cook the drive in transit ;)

Should be no difference unless the disk is attached to an adapter that
requires a minimum PROM revision (like a SunSwift on a SC2000).  I can't
think of any way it could affect the onboard SCSI on a SS10.

Corrupt label would mean that it can't even read the partitioning blocks
correctly, which are the same on everything back to the pre-Sparc days.
I'd recommend looking at termination and the bus cabling.

-James